Magdeburg – Dresden: Bike tours along the Elbe Cycle Path
Through unique natural landscapes to the Baroque pearl on the Elbe
Day 1: Individual arrival at Magdeburg
Welcome to Magdeburg – the capital of Saxony-Anhalt! This old city has many tales to tell. The local historical monuments and building will satisfy your curiosity. For example the Magdeburg Dome, symbol of the city, or the12th or 13th century fortresses surrounding the old town will transfer you to another time!
Overnight stay in Magdeburg
Day 2: Magdeburg – Dessau (approx. 78 - 88 km)
As you are cycling along the river Elbe, notice the purity of the surrounding nature! This UNESCO protected area – the Biosphere Reserve of the Middle Elbe – contains the largest interconnected water meadow area of Middle Europe and includes the Elbe floodplains as a unique biotope which serves as a shelter for many endangered species. The reserve also contains Woerlitzer Park. This is the oldest landscape park and one of the first and largest English parks in continental Europe. Your last stop will be the city of Dessau. Explore the local "Bauhaus" architecture and visit the Bauhaus Collage or Museum.
Overnight stay in Dessau Tip: This tour can be divided by an overnight stop in Barby (results in approx. 42 km/40 km). Online booking via "Erlebnispaket".
Day 3: Dessau – Lutherstadt Wittenberg (approx. 37 km)
On your second bike tour along the Elbe River you will pass the Biosphere Reserve for a few more kilometers before you reach the beautiful City Lutherstadt Wittenberg. There are many exciting places you can go to. A fun and relaxing way to spend the rest of the day is a visit to either the Alaris butterfly park, the NABU Center "Im Stadtwald" or the local zoo. If you are in for a more cultural experience, you can visit Wittenberg’s 14th century Reformation Church, the House of Lucas Cranach or Martin Luther, or the one-hundred-waters Luther-Melanchthon-Gymnasium. A perfect ending to the day offers Luthersbrunnen – local restaurant offering regional specialties.
Overnight stay in Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Day 4: Lutherstadt Wittenberg – Torgau (approx. 68 km)
On the fourth day of your bicycle holidays you will be passing through the floodplains of the River Elbe until you reach the city of Pretzsch. The 16th century renaissance castle of Pretzsch offers itself as an ideal location for a snack. After you have left Pretzsch, you will bike approx. 20 more kilometers until you reach the border to Saxony and from there you will bike along the Elbe all the way to Torgau.
Overnight stay in Torgau Tip: This tour can be divided by an overnight stop in Pretzsch (results in approx. 35 km/33 km). Online booking via "Erlebnispaket".
Day 5: Torgau – Strehla (cat. B)/ Riesa (cat. A) (approx. 40 km/48 km)
Passing by the villages hemming the River Elbe, one worth paying a visit is Belgern. The main attraction here is the city hall, painted in vermilion, guarded by the statue "Roland of Belgern". Once you have left the village, you will continue along the River Elbe until you reach Strehla. Besides the Castle and the old town hall of Strehla, you can visit the adorable zoo of small animals, nourishing raccoons, mini pigs, chipmunks and many more. If you still have energy left, you may bike the remaining 5 Kilometres to Riesa.
Overnight stay in Strehla (category B) or Riesa (category A)
Day 6: Strehla (cat. B)/ Riesa (cat. A) – Meissen (approx. 36 km/28 km)
If you have decided to spend your night in Strehla, we recommend you pay a visit to Riesa, renowned for its steel industry and sports. Biking further along the Elbe, you will pass by lovely wine villages until you reach Diesbar-Seulitz. With its baroque castle Seußlitz and the castles Heinrichsburg and Luisenburg is Diesbar-Seulitz a jewel to Saxonys towns with castle’s and palaces. However, the true highlight of the today’s bike tour still lies ahead. Meissen, or the porcelain city, welcomes you in its whole noble beauty. With the castle Albrechtsturm, the porcelain manufactory, the late gothic city hall and many more, the city Meissen is annually visited by hundreds of thousands of people.
Overnight stay in Meissen
Day 7: Meissen – Dresden (approx. 30 km)
Follow the River Elbe from Meissen and you will soon reach the town of Radebeul. This wine, mansion and garden city, with its eight historical village centers and two residential neighborhoods, is located directly on Saxony’s wine street between the former royal capital of Dresden and the former bishop seat in Meissen. Visit the wine castles Hofloesnitz or Wackerbarth and their museums and follow the local wine-growing history back in time to the year 1271! When you have seen enough of the city, you may bike along the River Elbe to your final destination in Dresden.
Overnight stay in Dresden
Day 8: Individual departure from Dresden or transfer service to Magdeburg
Dresden – the Florence on the Elbe! For those who still have time and desire, Dresden offers a wide variety of cultural experiences. Walk through the old town of Dresden and see the famous Frauenkirche or Semperoper, enjoy the magnificent view over the city from the city walls or widen your knowledge in one of the many local museums. In case you are returning home back to Magdeburg, you may take advantage of our transfer service.
Experience PACKAGES: Put the crown on your holiday!
- 7 x overnight stay in the booked category with private facilities
- 7 x continental breakfast
- Luggage transfer from accommodation to accommodation during your cycle tours
- GPS data on request
- 1 package with maps and information material per room (in English language)
- Telephone-service-hotline during your cycling holidays
Please feel free to add the following value-added services to the basic travel package of the tour from Magdeburg to Dresden:
- Additional nights at every overnight location according to the tour description
- Rental bikes or electric bicycles for the duration of the tour (more about our rental bike service)
- Transfer services from Dresden to Magdeburg, per own bicycle + 25 € (more about our transfer services)
- FlexPLUS: rebook or cancel up to 28 days before arrival without giving reasons (more about our FlexPLUS)
Category B: 3-star hotels and guesthouses/pensions, usually close to the cycle path
Please note that in some cities accommodation taxes, visitor's taxes, etc. apply. Unless otherwise stated, these are not included in the tour price and must be paid locally.
This cycle trip is not recommendable for travellers with mobility impairments.
Arrival & Departure
How to get to the tour
Arrival by train:
Magdeburg is easy to reach by train from all major cities in Germany.
From Magdeburg's main train station, you then have the option of using public transportation to get to your hotel.
Current timetable information and price information can be found at www.bahn.de or at www.mvbnet.de.
Arrival by car and parking facilities:
Depending on the hotel, there are direct parking options or often nearby.
Please understand that there are few parking facilities at the hotel, especially in the city centers.
Check directly with your starting hotel to see if they offer parking. At www.parkopedia.de you will find a good overview of other parking options and we will be happy to inform you individually.
- Prices for services includedPrice validity: 01.04.2017 to 31.10.2024incl. luggage transferDblSglCategory A769.00 € per person1,029.00 € per personPrice validity: 01.04.2024 to 05.05.2024Category B699.00 € per person899.00 € per personCategory A769.00 € per person1,029.00 € per personPrice validity: 06.05.2024 to 07.09.2024Category B699.00 € per person899.00 € per personCategory A805.00 € per person1,065.00 € per personPrice validity: 08.09.2024 to 31.10.2024Category B735.00 € per person935.00 € per personCategory A769.00 € per person1,029.00 € per personCategory B699.00 € per person899.00 € per person
- Prices for additional nightsCategory ADblSglMagdeburg68.00 €95.00 €Dessau-Roßlau68.00 €95.00 €Lutherstadt Wittenberg68.00 €95.00 €Torgau68.00 €95.00 €Riesa68.00 €95.00 €Meißen68.00 €95.00 €Category BDresden75.00 €110.00 €Magdeburg59.00 €78.00 €Dessau-Roßlau59.00 €78.00 €Lutherstadt Wittenberg59.00 €78.00 €Torgau59.00 €78.00 €Strehla59.00 €78.00 €Meißen59.00 €78.00 €Dresden63.00 €85.00 €
- Prices for rental bikesPriceUnisex-Tourenrad mit 21-Gang-Freilauf15.00 €
per person and dayUnisex-Tourenrad mit 7-Gang-Rücktritt15.00 €
per person and dayHerren-Tourenrad mit 21-Gang-Freilauf15.00 €
per person and dayHerren-Tourenrad mit 7-Gang-Rücktritt15.00 €
per person and dayUnisex-Elektrorad mit 7-Gang-Rücktritt30.00 €
per person and dayTachometer (nach freier Verfügbarkeit)0.00 €
- Prices for transfer servicesPriceDresden - Magdeburg
Buspreis, bis 3 Personen (pauschal), pro eigenes Rad + 25 €300.00 €
- Experience packagesPriceFlexPLUS39.00 € (DZ), 39.00 € (EZ)
per personZusatznacht Pretzsch (inkl. Gepäcktransport)90.00 € (DZ), 120.00 € (EZ)
per personZusatznacht Barby (inkl. Gepäcktransport)90.00 € (DZ), 120.00 € (EZ)
5% Early Bird Discount
on all active holidays