Magdeburg – Hamburg: Cycle tours along the Elbe Cycle Path
On a discovery tour between Elbe meadows and stork villages
The bike tours are fairly flat and follow the run of the river Elbe. The majority of the trails are in good condition and offer a wide range of cultural and leisure activities, making it ideal for travellers in every age group, for families and groups. The Elbe is one of the "slow" rivers. There is hardly any altitude, so it does not really matter whether you cycle upstream or downstream. However, the prevailing winds from the west and the countryside around the Elbe make the journey upstream preferable.
Day 1: Individual arrival at Magdeburg
Experience the Cathedral, the Monastery and stroll in the footsteps of the inventor Otto von Guericke. Magdeburg also offers lots of rambling parkways like the "Elbauenpark" and the "Rothehornpark" where you can relax.
Overnight stay in Magdeburg
Day 2: Magdeburg – Tangermünde (approx. 80 km)
Today you will pass the impressive and technical challenging construction of the waterway junction – a gigantic building project to conect the waterways of Hannover, Magdeburg and Berlin. Milestone of this cycling day will be the famous monastery of Jerichow. The Elbe river cycle path takes you further to Tangermünde. By walking through the town you will discover the traces of 1000 years of history. The most impressive building is the 24 meter high town hall with its opulent decorated front created in the 15th century.
Overnight stay in Tangermünde Tip: This tour can be divided by an overnight stop in Bertingen (results in approx. 41 km/33 km). Online booking via "Erlebnispaket".
Day 3: Tangermünde – Havelberg (approx. 50 km)
Today Elbe river cycle path takes you to Havelberg. Havelberg is another round village with half-timbered houses. Do not miss to visit the Romanesque cathedral.
Overnight stay in Havelberg
Day 4: Havelberg – Wittenberge (approx. 38 km)
We recommend to make a break in the town Ruehstaedt. It is known for its big stork population. Every year in spring time about 70 storks turn back from their winter time overseas to live on roofs, pylons or towers. Wittenberge with its numerous towers can already be seen from a distance.
Overnight stay in Wittenberge
Day 5: Wittenberge – Hitzacker (approx. 78 km)
Recreative hours in untouched nature will define your cycling day. Only from time to time you will pass through dreamy villages.
Overnight stay in Hitzacker
Day 6: Hitzacker – Lauenburg (approx. 55 km)
You will pass through an unique landscape called "Wendland" which is characterized by a special form of settlement – the round villages. The landscape is flat and dominated by huge floodplains. They are a paradise for birds like storks, sea eagles or cranes. Lauenburg is an old skippers town with a lot of beautiful restored half-timbered houses from the 16th and 17th century.
Overnight stay in Lauenburg
Day 7: Lauenburg – Hamburg (approx. 55 km)
Most of the time you will cycle along the Elbe riverbanks. Before entering the metropole you will pass a calm area with small villages. You can see Hamburg already from far away. Don t miss the opportunity to take part in a roundtrip by boat. You will get an impression of Hamburg harbour seen from the water with its huge ocean liners and container terminals.
Overnight stay in Hamburg
Day 8: Individual departure from Hamburg or transfer service to Magdeburg
You can of course always extend your bike tour with extra nights in Hamburg or other towns. We will be pleased to arrange additional accommodation for you. In case you are returning home back to Magdeburg, you may take advantage of our transfer service.
Experience PACKAGES: Put the crown on your holiday!
- 7 x overnight stay in hotels and guesthouses with 3-star-standard
- 7 x continental breakfast
- Luggage transfer from accommodation to accommodation during your cycle tours
- GPS data on request
- 1 package with maps and information material per room (in English language)
- Telephone-service-hotline during your cycling holidays
Please feel free to add the following value-added services to the basic travel package of the tour from Magdeburg to Hamburg:
- Additional nights in Magdeburg and Hamburg
- Rental bikes or electric bicycles for the duration of the tour (more about our rental bike service)
- Transfer services from Hamburg to Magdeburg, per own bicycle + 25 €, subject to taking along further persons/intermediate stops (more about our transfer services)
- FlexPLUS: rebook or cancel up to 28 days before arrival without giving reasons (more about our FlexPLUS)
Please note that in some cities accommodation taxes, visitor's taxes, etc. apply. Unless otherwise stated, these are not included in the tour price and must be paid locally.
This cycle trip is not recommendable for travellers with mobility impairments.
Arrival & Departure
How to get to the tour
Arrival by train:
Magdeburg is easy to reach by train from all major cities in Germany.
From Magdeburg's main train station, you then have the option of using public transportation to get to your hotel.
Current timetable information and price information can be found at www.bahn.de, www.hvv.de and www.mvbnet.de
Arrival by car and parking facilities:
Depending on the hotel, there are direct parking options or often nearby.
Please understand that there are few parking facilities at the hotel, especially in the city centers.
Check directly with your starting hotel to see if they offer parking. At www.parkopedia.de you will find a good overview of other parking options and we will be happy to inform you individually.
- Prices for services includedPrice validity: 01.04.2017 to 31.10.2024incl. luggage transferDblSglPrice validity: 01.04.2024 to 05.05.2024829.00 € per person1,079.00 € per personPrice validity: 06.05.2024 to 07.09.2024829.00 € per person1,079.00 € per personPrice validity: 08.09.2024 to 31.10.2024865.00 € per person1,115.00 € per person829.00 € per person1,079.00 € per person
- Prices for additional nightsDblSglMagdeburg68.00 €95.00 €Hamburg90.00 €120.00 €
- Prices for rental bikesPriceUnisex-Tourenrad mit 21-Gang-Freilauf15.00 €
per person and dayUnisex-Tourenrad mit 7-Gang-Rücktritt15.00 €
per person and dayHerren-Tourenrad mit 21-Gang-Freilauf15.00 €
per person and dayHerren-Tourenrad mit 7-Gang-Rücktritt15.00 €
per person and dayUnisex-Elektrorad mit 7-Gang-Rücktritt30.00 €
per person and dayTachometer (nach freier Verfügbarkeit)0.00 €
- Prices for transfer servicesPriceHamburg - Magdeburg
Buspreis, bis 3 Personen (pauschal), pro eigenes Rad + 25 €340.00 €
- Experience packagesPriceFlexPLUS39.00 € (DZ), 39.00 € (EZ)
per personZusatznacht Bertingen (inkl. Gepäcktransport)110.00 € (DZ), 140.00 € (EZ)
5% Early Bird Discount
on all active holidays