Reformation tour to Erfurt & Eisenach: "Luther and Reformation"
What to expect
Martin Luther and the Reformation left a particularly lasting impression on the Central German cultural landscape. Especially in Thuringia and Saxony-Anhalt, there are many Luther-related sites that are worth a visit even after the Decade of the Reformation jubilee.
There are intriguing locations to discover in Thuringia, e.g. the Wartburg in Eisenach, the place where he translated the Bible, or St Augustine’s monastery in Erfurt! In Saxony-Anhalt, you can discover Luther’s birthplace Eisleben, his home for many years – Lutherstadt Wittenberg – and the parental home in Mansfeld.
Rarely has a single human being caused such radical historical and far-reaching changes as Martin Luther did. Follow in the footsteps of the young Martin Luther and plan a Reformation tour to Erfurt & Eisenach!
Detailed information for journey "Reformation in Erfurt & Eisenach"
Basic package for your cultural tour to Erfurt & Eisenach:
4 days/3 nights
Day 1: Individual arrival to Erfurt
Look forward to some interesting and unforgettable days in the footsteps of the reformer Martin Luther on this Reformation tour to Erfurt and Eisenach.
Day 2: Luther in Erfurt
In the first morning of this Reformation tour to Erfurt and Eisenach we would like to arrange a guided city tour for your group in Erfurt, on which your guests will not only see the most famous sights of Erfurt but also follow the tracks of Martin Luther. Of course a visit of the Erfurt Cathedral, where Luther has been ordained, is not to be omitted! Afterwards there will be the opportunity to get to know St Augustine’s monastery and the "Georgenburse", where Luther’s theology and the reformation struck root.
Day 3: Luther in Eisenach
Today your group can look forward to visiting the city of Eisenach with its famous Wartburg Castle. Besides a guided city tour the visit of the Wartburg and the Luther House will be interesting items on the tour programme. You will also have the cahance to get to know more about Martin Luther´s life during a visit to Luther House. In the evening we would like to invite you to let the evening fade away at a local restaurant by enjoying a savoury dinner “Luther´s feast”. What a great idea for the last evening of your Reformation tour to Erfurt and Eisenach!
Day 4: Individual Departure
We hope you and your group had a wonderful time during this Reformation tour to Erfurt and Eisenach. Today your individual departure is scheduled. If you would like to spend more time in the beautiful German cities, please do not hesitate to contact us! For example you could extend your stay by planning one of our PLUS packages.
This itinerary is only a suggestion for your next special interest tour which can be adjusted according to your desires. Whether you draw inspiration from the proposals made in this itinerary or blend them with your own ideas, the AugustusTours team looks forward to putting together your next historical tour.
Basic package for your cultural tour to Erfurt & Eisenach:
4 days/3 nights
- 3 x Overnight stay incl. breakfast in Erfurt
- Welcome drink at the hotel
- Guided walking tour "In the footsteps of Martin Luther" in Erfurt, 2 hours
- Guided visit of Erfurt Cathedral
- Exploration of the St Augustine’s monastery
- Admission to the "Georgenburse" where Luther lived as a student until he moved to the St Augustine’s monastery
- Guided visit of Wartburg Castle in Eisenach
- Guided walking tour of Eisenach, 2 hours
- Visit to the Luther House in Eisenach
- Dinner "Luther’s feast" in a local restaurant in Erfurt
- Travel documents for the tour manager/driver
- City map for each guest
- 24-hrs telephone assistance before and during this Reformation tour to Erfurt and Eisenach
PLUS-packages for your cultural tour to Eisenach & Erfurt
A visit to Eisleben will spice up your historical tour. Martin Luther came into the world on 10 November 1483 in Eisleben. He was baptised the following day in St. Peter's Church. The unassuming town house where he was born, also from the 15th century, was largely destroyed when a fire swept through Eisleben in 1689. The building was later rebuilt by the council. An exhibition for Lutheran pilgrims was opened, which makes the house one of the oldest museums in the German-speaking world.
- Guided tour “Luther in Eisleben”, 2 hours
- Admission to Luther’s birthplace, the St. Andreas Market Church and Luthers Death House Museum
- Visit to the St Mary’s convent Helfta
- Guided walking tour of Weimar where Luther’s principles of political ethic were formed
- Visit to the town church of St Peter & Paul, where Luther preached and got eternalized at the monumental winged altar of Lucas Cranach the Younger
- Guided tour of the Duchess Anna Amalia library, where a gorgeous Luther Bible from 1534 is kept safe among other bibles
- Guided visit of the town castle with the Gallery of Cranach, the artist, who portrayed Luther and his wife several times
- Guided walking tour of Gotha
- Guided visit of the monastery of St Augustin’s Gotha, the mother cloister of the famous foundation in Erfurt
- Tour of Friedenstein Castle, where reformatory manuscripts and prints are kept safe
- Admission to the Bach Museum Leipzig
- Guided walking tour of Leipzig incl. a short visit to St Thomas Church
- Guided Tour "In the footsteps of Martin Luther"
- Guided visit of St Mary’s Cathedral
- Organ concert at or ascent to the tower of St Mary’s Cathedral
- Sightseeing tour of Berlin
- Guided tour of the National Special Exhibition "The Luther Effect" at the German Historical Museum
Those are suggestions for your next special interest tour which can be adjusted according to your desires. Whether you draw inspiration from the proposals made or blend them with your own ideas, the AugustusTours team looks forward to putting together your next group tour.
Prices for services included
This Reformation tour to Erfurt & Eisenach is characterized by its creativity and flexibility, with each itinerary specially tailored to both your requirements and those of your guests. It can be shortened, extended or adapted according to your desires. The prices are based on the programme, group size and hotel class. We are looking forward to your inquiry and provide you with an individual offer for your Reformation tour to Erfurt & Eisenach or to Wittenberg. We are also happy to organize a cultural tour in different German cities for your group!
Request a tailor-made offer for your group tour to Germany
All our group tour suggestions can be altered, shortened or lengthened to your specific requirements, so please see them as food for thought rather than a set meal. It would be our pleasure to draw up a tailored quote based on your ideas and expectations – giving you a group tour that will leave you shouting “encore”! Please send us your request for a group tour to Germany. Once you have submitted your request we will work on a tailor-made quote for you.
Being a very experienced and high-performance incoming partner for Germany, we offer you support and advice regarding the realisation of your group travels. Since 1997, we have been working for international travel agents, associations, companies as well as private clients. During all our work, we constantly follow our standard “Expertise. Ideas. Passion”. We are based in Dresden, so we know where your guests travel.
We have numerous itinerary suggestions for you and your group – no matter if you are planning a city break, cultural tour or round trip throughout Germany! The mentioned tours are only suggestions. Please do not hesitate to send us your special ideas and requirements on your next group tour.
We look forward to working with you and would be glad to become your go-to partner for city and cultural tours in Germany!
Tour impressions from fellow travellers
written by Pastor B.