Luther and the Reformation in Wittenberg
What to expect
Martin Luther and the Reformation left a particularly lasting impression on the Central German cultural landscape. Especially in Thuringia and Saxony-Anhalt, there are many Luther-related sites that are worth a visit even after the Decade of the Reformation jubilee.
In Saxony-Anhalt, you can discover Luther’s birthplace Eisleben, his home for many years – Lutherstadt Wittenberg – and the parental home in Mansfeld. There are intriguing locations to discover in Thuringia, e.g. the Wartburg in Eisenach, the place where he translated the Bible, or St Augustine’s monastery in Erfurt! Come and join us on this Reformation tour to Wittenberg!
Detailed information for journey "Reformation in Wittenberg"
Basic Package for your cultural tour to Wittenberg:
4 days/3 nights
Day 1: Individual arrival in Wittenberg
Plan your Reformation tour to Wittenberg and get to know the famous sights related to the great reformer Martin Luther. In the evening a special and unforgettable dinner "Dining with Luther" awaits you and your group!
Day 2: Lutherstadt Wittenberg: Cradle of Reformation
Follow in the footsteps of Martin Luther and enjoy a guided tour of Lutherstadt Wittenberg. Highlight of the guided tour in Wittenberg will be the visit to the Wittenberg Castle church (Schlosskirche). Martin Luther was to make this church, which was built on the foundation of a former castle, known around the world. On 31st October 1517 he nailed his 95 theses on to the main door. Today, inside the church, the grave of Martin Luther and the final resting place of the reformer Philipp Melanchthon can be visited. The chapel is listed as an UNESCO World Heritage site. You will also have the possibility to get to know more about Luther´s interesting life while visiting the Luther House.
Day 3: Luther in Mansfeld und Eisleben
Today the focus of the programme of this Reformation tour to Wittenberg will be on the life of the reformer Martin Luther. You will get to Mansfeld by coach and visit Luther´s parent´s house. After that interesting visit you get to Eisleben where are guided walking tour of the city Eisleben is scheduled. Luther´s birth house will also be seen. To complete that walk in the footsteps of Luther and his life afterwards you will have admission to the death house of the reformer.
Day 4: Individual departure
Before your departure of this Reformation tour to Wittenberg comes closer a guided visit of the Melanchton house should not be missed. Philipp Melanchton was also a very important figure of the Reformation.
Extend your Reformation tour to Wittenberg and plan further excursions to Erfurt, Schmalkalden or Erfurt and Eisenach.
This itinerary is only a suggestion for your group tour which can be adjusted according to your desires. Whether you draw inspiration from the proposals made in this itinerary or blend them with your own ideas, the AugustusTours team looks forward to putting together your next cultural tour.
Luther Monument Wittenberg © Nick Merchant
Birthplace Luther © AugustusTours
Basic Package for your cultural tour to Wittenberg:
4 days/3 nights
- 3 x overnight stay incl. breakfast in Wittenberg
- Guided walking tour following in the footsteps of Martin Luther in Wittenberg, 2 hours
- Visit to the St. Marien Town Church
- Visit to the Castle Church
- Admission and guided tour of the Luther House in Wittenberg
- Visit to Luther’s parents’ house in Mansfeld
- Walking tour of Lutherstadt Eisleben incl. Luther’s birth house
- Admission to the death house of Martin Luther in Eisleben
- Guided visit of the Melanchthon house in Wittenberg
- Travel documents for the tour manager/driver
- City map for each guest
- 24-hrs telephone assistance before and during your Reformation tour to Wittenberg
PLUS packages for your cultural tour to Wittenberg
- City tour by coach of Dessau, where Luther ordained an earl to a bishop
- Guided visit of the Bauhaus
- Guided walking tour incl. Katharina’s Parlor, Town Church of St Mary’s and guided visit of Hartenfels Castle
- Guided tour “In the Footsteps of Martin Luther”, 2 hours
- Admission and guided tour of the Evangelical Monastery of St Augustine’s, 1 hour
- Lunch in the medieval Lutherkeller cellar restaurant (one-course meal)
- Add a “Lutheran Feast” at the Hotel Eisenacher Hof to your special interest tour and enjoy dishes typical to Luther’s era.
- Plan an excursion to town of Schmalkalden and visit the George Town Church and its Luther Room, the Luther House and Wilhelmsburg Castle.
- Excursion to Coburg incl. sightseeing tour and visit to the Veste Coburg where Luther spent time at the citadel while working on the Bible
- Visit of Halle incl. guided walking tour and visit of the Francke Foundations
- Visit to the Garden Kingdom of Dessau-Wörlitz
- Visit to Leipzig incl. a guided walking tour in the footsteps of Martin Luther
- Visit to Berlin incl. a guided city tour in the capital of Germany
Those are suggestions for your next cultural tour which can be adjusted according to your desires. Whether you draw inspiration from the proposals made or blend them with your own ideas, the AugustusTours team looks forward to putting together your next group tour.
Prices for services included
This Reformation tour to Wittenberg is characterized by its creativity and flexibility, with each itinerary specially tailored to both your requirements and those of your guests. It can be shortened, extended or adapted according to your desires. The prices are based on the programme, group size and hotel class. We are looking forward to your inquiry and provide you with an individual offer for your Reformation tour to Wittenberg or to Erfurt and Eisenach. We are also happy to organize a cultural tour in different German cities for your group!
Request a tailor-made offer for your group tour to Germany
All our group tour suggestions can be altered, shortened or lengthened to your specific requirements, so please see them as food for thought rather than a set meal. It would be our pleasure to draw up a tailored quote based on your ideas and expectations – giving you a group tour that will leave you shouting “encore”! Please send us your request for a group tour to Germany. Once you have submitted your request we will work on a tailor-made quote for you.
Being a very experienced and high-performance incoming partner for Germany, we offer you support and advice regarding the realisation of your group travels. Since 1997, we have been working for international travel agents, associations, companies as well as private clients. During all our work, we constantly follow our standard “Expertise. Ideas. Passion”. We are based in Dresden, so we know where your guests travel.
We have numerous itinerary suggestions for you and your group – no matter if you are planning a city break, cultural tour or round trip throughout Germany! The mentioned tours are only suggestions. Please do not hesitate to send us your special ideas and requirements on your next group tour.
We look forward to working with you and would be glad to become your go-to partner for city and cultural tours in Germany!
Tour impressions from fellow travellers
written by Phil