The Choir of the Church of the Holy Cross in Dresden (Dresdner Kreuzchor) together with the School and the Church of the Holy Cross (Kreuzschule und Kreuzkirche) are going to celebrate their 800th anniversary in 2016. Back in 1216, when Dresden was mentioned for the first time in a document, today’s Church of the Holy Cross, which back then was called St. Nicholas’s Church, served as a parish church, around which the city was created. Today the Church of the Holy Cross not only is known for its boys’ choir, but also for being Saxony’s largest Evangelical church.
Start planning your musical tour to Dresden for 2016 now!
Have you ever thought about organising a musical group trip to Dresden on the occasion of the 800th anniversary of the Choir of the Church of the Holy Cross? Combine the fabulous event with the cultural heritage Dresden has to offer and present your guests a unique travel occasion!
Because Dresden is not only going to appropriately celebrate the past 800 years, it will also celebrate today’s significance of the Church of the Holy Cross, the famous boys’ choir as well as the identically named school. All year long first-class concerts and other events will take place at various locations in Dresden. A performance with period instruments in the largest church building of Saxony, a visit of the art exhibition in the Royal Palace, a guided city walk or a sightseeing tour of the Church of Our Lady or the Church of the Holy Cross could only be some of the highlights of your programme while visiting Dresden.
The highlight of the anniversary festivities is the festival week in April, as they are planning one extraordinary event every day. Become a part of it and experience the extraordinary singing of the boys’ choir of the Church of the Holy Cross!
The most interesting events in the anniversary year 2016 at a glance
- Opening concert on the 9/01/2016, 5pm, Church of the Holy Cross in Dresden
The official opening takes place on the second Saturday of the year in the Church of the Holy Cross. The Choir of the Church of the Holy Cross will sing cantatas 4-6 of Johann Sebastian Bach’s Christmas Oratorio.
- Events 24/03/2016 until 28/03/2016, 7pm, Church of the Holy Cross
Feel free to attend a vesper of the boys’ choir, an Easter mass or Easter service as well as concerts in the Church of the Holy Cross over the Easter period.
- Festival week 15/04/2016 until 24/04/2016
The festival week with its unique events will be the highlight of the anniversary festivities in 2016:
- Friday, 15/04/2016: Ceremonial opening in and around the Church of the Holy Cross
- Saturday, 16/04/2016: Vesper of the Choir of the Church of the Holy Cross, church choirs of Dresden congratulate
- Sunday, 17/04/2016: Holiday service with the regional bishop and the Choir of the Church of the Holy Cross, concert of the Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra with world premiere
- Monday, 18/04/2016: Podium Church of the Holy Cross: A Church for the City: During the turnaround 1990 and today
- Tuesday, 19/04/2016: Podium Grammar School of the Holy Cross (Kreuzgymnasium): Evangelical school now and in the future
- Wednesday, 20/04/2016: Organ concert with illumination
- Thursday, 21/04/2016: Podium Church of the Holy Cross: Are we still fighting for peace?
- Friday, 22/04/2016: Podium Church of the Holy Cross: Ecumenism – What is going to happen next?
- Saturday, 23/04/2016: Concert of the Choir of the Church of the Holy Cross: Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis
- Sunday, 24/04/2016: Ecumenical worship service with guests; afternoon: concert with Gerhard Schöne
- Organ Summer on Sundays from the 25/06/2016 until 06/08/2016
During this period a special organ event takes place every Saturday at 3pm. Come and visit Dresden and the famous Church of the Holy Cross in summer and enjoy the beauties of this unique period.
- Concert at the Bach Festival on the 24/09/2016, 5pm, Church of the Holy Cross
On this Saturday, the Choir of the Church of the Holy Cross officially opens the 91st Bach Festival of the new Johann Sebastian Bach Society. This time the Mass in B Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach is on the programme.
- Advent- and Christmas time from the 26/11/16 until 26/12/2016
For the pre-Christmas and actual Christmas season the Choir of the Church of the Holy Cross has put together a special programme. Enjoy the Advent- and Christmas time in festive atmosphere full of traditional Christmas carols and touching moments!
Let yourself in for a real musical adventure and start planning your next cultural trip to Dresden. We are happy to help you with the realisation of your preferred dates and individual ideas - do not hesitate to contact us!
Kruzianer on the top of the Church of the Holy Cross © Kreuzchor Dresden
Church of the Holy Cross Dresden © AugustusTours
Concert of the Choir of the Holy Cross © Kreuzchor Dresden