Leipzig has many things to offer in musical as well as church-related aspect: The city is not only home of Germany´s most popular boys´ choir, the St. Thomas Boys Choir but also the birthplace of the popular and world-famous composers Robert Schumann and Richard Wagner. Furthermore, it was the work place of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Experience the variety of the world of music with AugustusTours
Join us on a scouting expedition into the music world of Leipzig. Today, we would like to take you to two of the most common churches in Leipzig, which regularly offer wonderful concerts.
St. Thomas Church
The St. Thomas Church, located in the city center of Leipzig, is home of the St. Thomas Boys Choir as well as the final resting place of the great cantor Johann Sebastian Bach. The St. Thomas Church is admired worldwide for its services, motets with the St. Thomas Choir and the Gewandhaus Orchestra Leipzig, as well as for its superb concerts and organ music. Besides their usual services and motets throughout the year, St. Thomas Church has to offer a couple musical highlights, which take place annually.
- 21.03.: Concert in honor of Bach´s Birthday
- 31.10.: Festive concert on Reformation Day
- On Monday after the 2nd Advent: Christmas Organ Concert illuminated by candlelight
- 24.12.: Christmas Motet at Christmas Eve
- 31.12.: New Year´s Motet and New Year´s Organ Concert
Our special tip: Participate in a tower tour after your visit of the motet and get to know interesting aspects about historic backgrounds. Furthermore you can enjoy the beautiful view of Leipzig.
Church of St. Nicholas
Many important historic impulses were set here e.g. in 1539 the first evangelical service was held at the Church of St. Nicholas in Leipzig and thus, the Reformation was introduced to the people. In the 1820s Johann Sebastian Bach used this church as a premiere location for some of his compositions. And last but not least the Church of St. Nicholas was a significant place for the peaceful revolution, which initiated the German Reunification in 1989. Have a look at the musical highlights of the Church of St. Nicholas!
- 09.10: Celebration for the day of decision in the peaceful revolution
- Year-round: Performance of all Bach motets during regular services
- Year-round: Performances of compositions of different organists of the Church of St. Nicholas
- Year-round: Concerts of the Bach choir
- Year-round: Exhibitions about the prayers for peace at the Church of St. Nicholas
If you are interested in other venues showcasing Leipzig's musical side, then read on here. We would be happy to reserve tickets to an event at the St. Thomas Church or Church of St. Nicholas. Take our travel plan for a city trip to Leipzig as inspiration and contact us for organizing your music city trip to Leipzig.
St. Thomas Church in Leipzig © AugustusTours
Interior of the Church of St. Nicholas in Leipzig © AugustusTours