Group tour suggestion to the Dresden Steam Engine Festival 2020
What to expect
This tour suggestion has been prepared for private groups, clubs and travel suppliers to be a proposal for a visit to the 12th Dresden Steam Engine Festival from April 17th until 19th, 2020. Several steam locomotives have already announced their coming. If you have not had the opportunity to become a part of this special nostalgic event yet, you should definitely consider visiting Dresden in 2020!
Experience exciting rides with history-charged steam engines on several steam train tours, learn more about the history, historical significance and tradition of the steam engines in various regions and be part of the special event of the traditional Steam Engine Festival.
For groups of more than 10 persons we are specialized to organise customized itineraries, so please check out our travel suggestions and blend them with your own ideas before your ask us for an individual group tour proposal.
Travel tips for your Dresden Steam Engine Festival
In addition to our group tour suggestion we also have further travel tips for your special interest tour:
- For groups of less than 10 persons we offer a 3-day package holiday. Please check our travel arrangement to the Dresden Steam Engine Festival for individual travellers and small groups.
Detailed information for journey "Dresden Steam Engine Festival"
Basic package for your special interest tour to the Steam Engine Festival:
4 days / 3 nights
16/04/2020: Arrival to Dresden
In the afternoon it is possible to arrange a guided walking tour for your group. Enjoy the beauty and charm of the city on the river Elbe and follow the footsteps of the Saxon Elector August the Strong!
17/04/2020: Visit to the Dresden Steam Engine Festival
The Steam Engine Festival opens its doors in the morning - so there is enough time to look around the festival site! With your admission ticket to the Dresden Steam Engine Festival, you also have the chance to visit the Dresden Transport Museum on this weekend. The museum displays unique exhibits on the history of all modes of transportation, such as railway, local transport, road and air traffic as well as shipping.
Our tip: The Evening Locomotive Presentation (Night Photography Parade) represents a highly atmospheric highlight of this eventful journey. Tickets will be limited. For that reason, please consider to reserve your tickets with sufficient forward planning!
This day you can go on a special train ride to the Tharandt Incline. Besides, we would like to assist you with the organisation of a half day excursion. What about going on a narrow-gauge railway ride with the Radebeul - Radeburg Railway (Lößnitzgrundbahn) or the Weißeritz Valley Railway (Weißeritztalbahn) from Freital?
Furthermore you have the opportunity to go on a half day excursion to the famous porcelain city of Meissen. The local porcelain factory was founded by the Saxon Elector August the Strong in 1710 and still is one of the world’s leading porcelain factories today. The Meissen porcelain belongs to the internationally best-known luxury brands Germany has to offer.
19/04/2020: Individual departure
On Sunday you can either visit the Steam Engine Festival once again or enjoy one of the various adventurous trips with the steam engines in and around Dresden. You are welcome to extend your group tour and spend a couple of additional nights in Dresden!
This itinerary is only a suggestion for your group tour to Dresden that can be shortened, extended or adapted according to your desires. To get a tailor made offer please feel free to contact us. We are looking forward to your enquiries!
Basic package for your special interest tour to the Steam Engine Festival:
3 days / 2 nights
- 3 nights bed and breakfast in Dresden
- 1 day ticket to the Steam Engine Festival; includes entry to the festival site (ticket is only valid according to the date stamp) as well as entry to the Dresden Transport Museum (valid for the entire duration of the event from the 17/04 – 19/04/2020)
- Guided tour through the historic city centre
- Ticket for a special steam train ride
- 1 city map of Dresden per room
- Detailed travel documents
- 24-hour telephone service during your trip to the Dresden Steam Engine Festival
Here you can find additional services from the programme of the Dresden Steam Engine Festival, which can be booked as an optional extra to your steam train group tour.
Additional day tickets for the Dresden Steam Engine Festival
- Dates: 17/04, 18/04 and 19/04/2020
- Foreseeable price: 15 € per person and day
Additional tickets for the Night Photography Parade (Tickets only on request)
- Dates: 17/04 and 18/04/2020
- Price: € 15 per person and evening (based on the prices of previous years)
Additional tickets for the special steam train tours*
Price: € 42.00 per person
- 17/04/2020, morning, Dresden main station – Freiberg (Tharandt Incline) – Dresden- Neustadt – Radeberg – Dresden main station
- 18/04/2020, morning, Train on Tharandt Incline parallel to a freight train, Dresden – Tharandt Incline – Freiberg – Dresden
- 18/04/2020, afternoon, Dresden – Bautzen – Görlitz – Bautzen – Dresden
- 19/04/2020, morning, Dresden – Bad Schandau (devided passenger train between Dresden main station and Pirna, travel as a parallel ride) – Děčín – Ústi n.L (devided passenger train, parallel ride on both sides of the river Elbe) – Děčín – Bad Schandau – Dresden - Already sold out!
- 19/04/2020, afternoon, Dresden – Heidenau – Altenberg – Heidenau – Dresde
*subject to change
- Ride with a narrow-gauge railway e.g. from Radebeul to Radeburg (Lößnitzgrundbahn) or from Freital to Dippoldiswalde (Weißeritz Valley Railway)
- Day excursion to the famous porcelain city of Meissen
- Boat trip with a historic paddle steamer on the Elbe River with stop at Pillnitz Palace and guided visit to Pillnitz Park and Gardens
Prices for services included
This itinerary is only a suggestion for your next steam train tour to Dresden which can be shortened, extended or adapted according to your desires.
Our group tours are characterized by their creativity and flexibility, with each itinerary specially tailored to both your requirements and those of your guests. Please feel free to contact us. We are looking forward to your enquiries!
Price per person*
Basic package “Dresden Steam Train Festival 2020”:
all prices on request
The city of Dresden has now confirmed the introduction of a “Lodging Tax”, formerly known as visitor´s tax, to be collected for overnight stays in Dresden starting 01/07/2015. The tax is based on the accommodation rate for the entire duration per person and per room. The exact costs will be calculated for each tour individually, included in the offer and are to be paid on the spot.
(only bookable in combination with the booking of the individual arrangement)
- Additional day tickets for the Dresden Steam Engine Festival: € 15 per person and day
- Additional tickets for the Night Photography Parade on 17/04 or 18/04/2020: € 15 per person and evening - Tickets only on request
- Special steam train rides: € 42 per person and ride
Non-binding offer, all services subject to availability. Prices are subject to change. All prices indicated are to be seen as inclusive of the statutory VAT rate currently in force. Some services are subject to the reverse charge procedure. The included guided tours will be held in English, other languages on request.
* The prices for this steam train tour are valid for a minimum of 15 paying guests. 21st guest goes free in half a twin room. Anyway, the tour is offered for groups from ten persons. Furthermore, we do offer a similar service for individual travellers and small groups with less than ten persons. Visit our section Steam Train Tours for individual travellers and explore our tours to the topic steam engines which can be booked from one person.
We are looking forward to your request and will be pleased to provide you with an offer tailored to your specific needs for your nostalgic travel to Saxony. Please read on for more useful travel information for your steam train tour and about the Steam Engine Festival.
Request your steam train tour
Working as an incoming and tour operator in Germany for 20 years now, AugustusTours has become a reliable partner for both groups and clubs as well as for individual travellers wishing to visit Germany.
Book your package holiday to the Dresden Steam Engine Festival
If you would like to book our package holiday to the Dresden Steam Engine Festival (bookable for individual travellers and small groups) please click here to get to our online booking form. Please note: Only bookable on request!
Inquire a tailor made journey for your group
We are happy to set up customized arrangements for clubs and groups of more than 10 persons. Draw inspiration from our group tour proposals, blend them with your own ideas and request a tailor made tour offer for your group!