Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about our cycle and walking tour offers
Am I restricted to specific arrival dates?
Almost all our cycling and walking tours can be commenced on any day of the week. They are tied to neither a scheduled date nor a tour group.
Even if some offers are restricted to specific arrival dates, we can occasionally offer special arrival dates in case you are travelling in a small group of at least four or six passengers. Please feel free to request your preferred travelling dates!
Where will I stay during the tour?
- Category: 3 and 4 star standard
- Private facilities (shower, bath, WC, telephone, TV)
- Secure bicycle parking
- Close to the route of your cycling/walking tour
Though our tour packages can only be booked with breakfast, this gives you freedom of choice where both restaurant and menu are concerned. We provide restaurant recommendations in your travel documents in order to help you decide where and what to eat.
On some of our active tours you have the choice between two categories of accommodation:
- Category A with 3 and 4 star hotels
- Category B with 3 star hotels and guesthouses.
If we have specific information about the tours accommodation categories you will find a description in the tour description, tab “Quotes”, at the end of the page.
- Please read on for more information about our cycling- and walking-friedly accommodations.
Image source: © Ibis Hotel Dresden
How do I get to and from my point of arrival/departure?
All our tours see guests arrive and depart under their own steam. Our tours are designed to ensure that points of arrival/departure are easily accessible by plane, train or car.
- Please read on for more information about arrival and departure options by car, airplane or train.
How do I get back to the starting point after the cycling tour?
On some of our packages you can also book a collective transfer to get back to your first hotel, where you might have parked your car.
- Please read on for more detailed information about our exclusive and collective transfer options.
How does luggage transport work?
- Luggage is to be deposited at the hotel reception by 9 a.m.
- Delivery to the next hotel until 5 p.m.
- Weight should not exceed 20 kg per piece of luggage
- If you want to read more about our luggage transport please click on our page "Information about our luggage transfer and helpful notes on your luggage".
Can I book rental bicycles through AugustusTours?
We are pleased to make our touring bicycles available for the duration of your cycling tour:
- Ladies’ bicycles with step-through frames for easy mounting and gents’ bicycles
- Choice of derailleur or hub gears
- Various frame sizes
- Electric bicycles, children’s bicycles and tandems on request
- Free accessories: waterproof Ortlieb pannier (10l), repair kit, lock, map holder
- Bicycle helmets: There is no mandatory helmet law in Germany. If you feel safer cycling with a helmet, please bring your own helmet with you. For reasons of both health and safety liability and hygiene we do not provide helmets.
- Please read on for more information about our rental bikes.
How are the degrees of difficulty indicated to be understood?
Degrees of difficulty of our cycling holidays
- easy: Leisurely cycling on generally flat terrain, daily stages of up to 40km in distance
- average: Generally leisurely cycling with some more challenging sections, daily stages of up to 70km in distance
- demanding: Daily stages of over 70km in distance, challenging paths
Degrees of difficulty of our walking holidays
- easy: Generally well-maintained footpaths with no noteworthy difficulties, approx. 4-5 hours of walking per day, max. daily difference in altitude of 400m
- average: Generally well-maintained footpaths with some more challenging sections, steep ascents and narrow descents via steps in some places, approx. 5-6 hours of walking per day, max. daily difference in altitude of 650m
- demanding: Walks with frequent ascents and descents via narrow paths, steps or ladders, over 6 hours of walking per day, max. daily difference in height of 1000m
What does the information on mobility restrictions for our active holidays mean?
The introduction of the new EU Package Travel Directive in July 2018 was accompanied by a number of changes to German travel law. One of the aims of the Directive is to protect and inform consumers as early as the booking process. As a tour operator, our obligations now include the clear labelling of tours that are unsuitable for people with restricted mobility. This essentially applies to all of our walking and cycling tours.
What does "restricted mobility" mean?
- In the majority of cases, the term is used to refer to physical limitations in terms of muscle power, motor functions and mobility that necessitate the use of a walking aid or wheelchair.
- In the case of cycling tours, this may also extend to the use of handcycles or other special bicycles.
Over the years, we have enabled a large number of guests with restricted mobility to enjoy our walking and cycling tours without any problems whatsoever. In some cases, this was only made possible by the detailed discussion of our guest’s specific requirements in advance of the tour, which enabled us to select suitable accommodation and make other special arrangements.
- Are you interested in one of our active tours but unsure if you are up to it? Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us – it would be our pleasure to adapt the tour to suit your mobility requirements!
Which active tours are suitable for families?
We also offer a family-friendly version of our walking tour of Saxon Switzerland – please do not hesitate to contact us for an individual quote.
Further family-friendly holidays packages
- Families should also consider our laid back cycling tours as the daily legs of these offers are planned short and their level of difficulty ist easy so that families have enough time to take a break on the way.
- Besides our radial tour offers are a good idea as they do not have a fixed travel itinerary and give them the opportunity to choose spontaneously another daily schedule.
Image source: © Velociped
What discounts does AugustusTours offer and are there child discounts available?
- Please click on our information page about discounts and rebates we offer for our cycling and walking holidays.
What if my holiday requirements don’t match up with your package offers?
To find out more, get in touch with us using
- our request form to get an individual cycle tour offer respectively
- our request form for an individual walking tour offer.
Can I book some of the tours accompanied by a dog?
It is possible to book some of our walking tour packages accompanied by your dog. We are happy to request dog-friendly accommodation for you.
- Please ask us for an individual offer and let us know the size and breed of dog.
Please note: Additional costs for your dog (e.g. for public transport or in the accommodations) are not included in the tour price and have to be paid on site.
What do I do if I have questions or problems during the tour?
We are here to help you quickly and effectively, and are available 24 hours a day on our emergency number (provided with your travel documents).
- Kindly note that English may not be spoken in every hotel or guesthouse in our travel destinations. If you experience difficulties in communication, feel free to call us on our 24/7 hotline and we will be happy to assist you.
What additional costs do I need to factor in?
The prices are listed per person. We offer packages, which means that all services indicated in the programme are included.
- Please note that our tours are calculated with breakfast and without ferries, city taxes (unless otherwise indicated) and travel insurances.
- Ferries: For example the Elbe River Cycle Path and the walking tour Saxon Switzerland in particular requires you to cross the river in some places in order to continue along the cycle path. Ferry tickets are not included in the price of your tour
How can I register for a cycling or walking tour?
You can make a quick, easy booking on the internet – simply click on the tab "Book" at the tour you wish to go on. Once we have received and processed your registration you will receive a booking confirmation, invoice and insolvency protection certificate.
How can I pay for my tour?
The total amount of a cycling or hiking booking is split into two bills:
- 10% (deposit) will be due after booking
- The second bill with 90% of the total cost is to be paid within 4 weeks before arrival.
- If there are less than 8 weeks between booking and departure, the full amount is due immediately.
You can pay for your active holiday conveniently by bank transfer or credit card (Visa/Mastercard). Here you will find detailed information about our payment options.
What are insolvency protection certificates for?
In accordance with EU guidelines on package tours, payments you make are insured against tour operator (AugustusTours) insolvency.
- AugustusTours holds insolvency protection insurance with R+V Versicherung.
Should not have been here all your questions answered, please contact us. We are happy to answer your questions about the organization of our active holidays to Germany immediately!