Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about our cycle and walking tours
1. Am I restricted to specific arrival dates?
Almost all our cycling and walking tours can be commenced on any day of the week. They are tied to neither a scheduled date nor a tour group.
2. Where will I stay during the tour?
You will be accommodated in cyclist/walker-friendly hotels and guesthouses – all of them personally tested by us:
- Category: 3 and 4 star standard
- Private facilities (shower, bath, WC, telephone, TV)
- Secure bicycle parking
- Close to the route of your cycling/walking tour
Though our tour packages can only be booked with breakfast, this gives you freedom of choice where both restaurant and menu are concerned. We provide restaurant recommendations in your travel documents in order to help you decide where and what to eat.
On our tours along the Elbe River Cycle Path you have the choice between two categories of accommodation: Category A with 3 and 4 star hotels and Category B with 3 star hotels and guesthouses.
Please read on for more information about our cycling- and walking-friedly accommodations.
Image source: © Ibis Hotel Dresden
3. How do I get to and from my point of arrival/departure?
All our tours see guests arrive and depart under their own steam. Our tours are designed to ensure that points of arrival/departure are easily accessible by plane, train or car.
Please read on for more information about arrival and departure options by car, airplane or train.
4. How do I get back to the starting point after the cycling tour?
Our exclusive transfer service is available on many of our tours. Using comfortable minibuses, we will pick you up from your hotel at the requested time and take you, your luggage and your bicycles to the starting point of your tour. For further information, prices and conditions please refer to the respective detailed tour specifications.
On some of our packages you can also book a collective transfer to get back to your first hotel, where you might have parked your car.
Please read on for more detailed information about our exclusive and collective transfer options.
5. How does luggage transport work?
In order to ensure that you enjoy a carefree cycling or walking holiday, all our tours offer a reliable luggage transport service:
- Luggage is to be deposited at the hotel reception by 9 a.m.
- Delivery to the next hotel until 5 p.m.
- Weight should not exceed 20 kg per piece of luggage
If you want to read more about our luggage transport please click on our page "Information about our luggage transfer and helpful notes on your luggage".
6. Can I book rental bicycles through AugustusTours?
We are pleased to make our touring bicycles available for the duration of your cycling tour:
- Ladies’ bicycles with step-through frames for easy mounting and gents’ bicycles
- Choice of derailleur or hub gears
- Various frame sizes
- Electric bicycles, children’s bicycles and tandems on request
- Free accessories: waterproof Ortlieb pannier (10l), repair kit, lock, map holder
- Speedometer (€ 5.00 per booking, only reservable related to a booking of a rental bicycle)
Please read on for more information about our rental bikes.
Bicycle helmets: There is no mandatory helmet law in Germany. If you feel safer cycling with a helmet, please bring your own helmet with you. For reasons of both health and safety liability and hygiene we do not provide helmets.
7. How are the degrees of difficulty indicated to be understood?
Degrees of difficulty of our cycling holidays
- easy: Leisurely cycling on generally flat terrain, daily stages of up to 40km in distance
- average: Generally leisurely cycling with some more challenging sections, daily stages of up to 70km in distance
- demanding: Daily stages of over 70km in distance, challenging paths
Degrees of difficulty of our walking holidays
- easy: Generally well-maintained footpaths with no noteworthy difficulties, approx. 4-5 hours of walking per day, max. daily difference in altitude of 400m
- average: Generally well-maintained footpaths with some more challenging sections, steep ascents and narrow descents via steps in some places, approx. 5-6 hours of walking per day, max. daily difference in altitude of 650m
- demanding: Walks with frequent ascents and descents via narrow paths, steps or ladders, over 6 hours of walking per day, max. daily difference in height of 1000m
8. Which active tours are suitable for families?
The section of the Elbe River Cycle Path from Dessau to Bad Schandau is a particular recommendation for families. Stage lengths are flexible, and child-friendly museums, path-side playgrounds and open-air swimming pools are on hand to ensure a fantastic family holiday.
We also offer a family-friendly version of our walking tour of Saxon Switzerland – please do not hesitate to contact us for an individual quote.
Further family-friendly holidays packages
- Families should also consider our laid back cycling tours as the daily legs of these offers are planned short and their level of difficulty ist easy so that families have enough time to take a break on the way.
- Besides our radial tour offers are a good idea as they do not have a fixed travel itinerary and give them the opportunity to choose spontaneously another daily schedule.
Image source: © Velociped
9. What if my holiday requirements don’t match up with your package offers?
As a tour operator with more than 20 years of local experience, we have extensive, detailed knowledge of accommodation, attractions and routing. It would be our pleasure to tailor a cycling or walking tour to your specific requirements.
To find out more, get in touch with us using our request form to get an individual offer.
10. What do my travel documents include?
Once payment has been received, AugustusTours will send out a set of travel documents (including comprehensive maps and information) for each room booked.
Our travel documents include:
- Your personal travel itinerary
- Cycling or walking maps
- Route-related information with carefully selected excursion tips, restaurant recommendations and important contact details (e.g. for bicycle repair locations)
- Vouchers for the booked accomondation and other services (not for luggage transfer, not for rental bikes)
- Brochures of accommodation and cities
- Luggage labels
11. What do I do if I have questions or problems during the tour?
We are here to help you quickly and effectively, and are available 24 hours a day on our emergency number (provided with your travel documents).
12. What additional costs do I need to factor in?
The prices are listed per person. We offer packages, which means that all services indicated in the programme are included. Please note that our tours are calculated with breakfast and without ferries, city taxes (unless otherwise indicated) and travel insurances.
Ferries: For example the Elbe River Cycle Path and the walking tour Saxon Switzerland in particular requires you to cross the river in some places in order to continue along the cycle path. Ferry tickets are not included in the price of your tour.
13. What discounts does AugustusTours offer and are there child discounts available?
Please click on our information page about discounts and rebates we offer for our cycling and walking holidays.
14. How can I register for a cycling or walking tour?
You can make a quick, easy booking on the internet – simply click on the tab "Book" at the tour you wish to go on. Once we have received and processed your registration you will receive a booking confirmation, invoice and insolvency protection certificate.
15. How can I pay for my tour?
The total amount of a cycling or hiking booking is split into two bills:
- 10% (deposit) will be due after booking
- The second bill with 90% of the total cost is to be paid within 4 weeks before arrival.
- If there are less than 8 weeks between booking and departure, the full amount is due immediately.
You can pay for your tour by bank transfer, credit card (Visa/Mastercard) or crossed cheque. Please note that charges may incurre.
16. What are insolvency protection certificates for?
In accordance with EU guidelines on package tours, payments you make are insured against tour operator (AugustusTours) insolvency. AugustusTours holds insolvency protection insurance with R+V Versicherung.
Should not have been here all your questions answered, please contact us. We are happy to answer your questions about the organization of our active holidays to Germany immediately!