Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about our cycle and walking tour offers
On this page we would like to answer frequently asked questions from our guests about the organisation of our cycling and walking tours. Should you not find the answer to your question here, please contact us. We will be happy to answer your questions about the organisation of our active tours immediately!
How can I imagine my cycling or hiking trip in 2021?
In addition to your detailed travel documentation package, we would like to provide you with further information for your journey in light of the current situation. Since the regulations vary from federal state to federal state and the regulations change very often at the moment, we would like to ask you for your assistance. In addition to our following information, please inform yourself again about the current status before departure. Thank you!
Our procedures around Corona
Increased infection rates in the travel area?
Then we will of course contact all affected guests to discuss the situation and possible further steps. It applies according to the current status:
The Federal Government's traffic light system
- Red (Travel warning): If a country/region has been classified as a corona risk area by the Robert Koch Institute, a travel warning applies. The trip cannot take place and will be cancelled by us. You will receive information on how to rebook or cancel the trip free of charge.
- Yellow (Attention increased risk): The infection situation in the country/region is still below defined limits, but there may already be entry restrictions or quarantine obligations in place. In this case we act according to the situation and discuss possible solutions. In order to be able to rebook or cancel free of charge in this case, we recommend that you take out our CoronaPLUS when booking your trip. Find out more on this page.
- Green (Let's go): There are no travel warnings or restrictions and nothing stands in the way of starting your active trip!
Increased infection rates in your place of residence?
Should your place of residence/country of origin become a risk area at the time of travel or shortly before, we will also discuss accommodating and situation-specific solutions with you, but in this case we also ask for your help!
Wer Reisen liebt, verschiebt!
In order to secure your well-deserved holiday (and our job), we recommend that you rebook your trip instead of cancelling it. Thank you. :) #postpone your trip
Our CoronaPLUS: 42-day cancellation option
We can understand your concerns and your reservations when planning your trip. To give you more security, we offer you our CoronaPLUS for all cycling and walking tours in the 2021 season.
Our tip: Book until 31/10/2021 and get CoronaPLUS for free!
For bookings of active tours with AugustusTours by 31/10/2021 the AugustusTours-CoronaPLUS is included. This allows you to rebook or cancel your tour free of charge up to 42 days before the start of the tour without having to give any reason.
Covid 19 insurance
With your travel confirmation you will receive an offer to conclude a travel cancellation insurance. You can also take out a Covid 19 insurance policy as part of the travel cancellation costs insurance. We have selected an insurance policy that we believe currently offers you the best cancellation protection. You can take out the insurance online on our website at www.augustustours.en.
Our active tours
What does individual cycling and walking tours mean?
Our cycling and hiking tours can be booked from 1 person or 2 persons. You travel individually - without a tour guide or travel group - and are only bound to the given travel period and possible arrival days.
What is behind the level of difficulty of my active trip?
The following applies to cycle tours...
- easy: leisurely cycling in mostly flat terrain, with cycling tours of up to 40 km, these cycling tours are also suitable for inexperienced cyclists
- medium: Predominantly easy cycling with individual difficult paths with cycle tours of up to 70 km, a certain basic level of fitness should be available for these cycle tours
- challenging: Cycling tours with stages of more than 70 km and demanding path conditions, this type of active holiday is suitable for experienced cyclists with good physical condition
The following applies to hiking tours...
- easy: Hikes on mainly well-maintained hiking trails without any difficulties worth mentioning, can also be done with little hiking experience and fitness, hiking tours with walking time approx. 4 to 5 hours, differences in altitude max. 400 m
- medium: Hikes for experienced hikers on mainly well-maintained trails with some demanding passages, some short steep ascents and narrow descents via stairs, sure-footedness and fitness required, hiking tours with walking time approx. 5 to 6 hours, altitude differences max. 650 m
- challenging: Hikes for conditioned and very experienced hikers with frequent ascents and descents over narrow paths or narrow stairs and ladders, very good physical condition and sure-footedness required, hiking tours with walking time over 6 hours, altitude differences max. 1000 m
Where can I travel with AugustusTours?
Our cycling and hiking tours take you to the most beautiful areas of Germany as well as to the Czech Republic, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. Numerous river cycle paths but also excellent quality hiking trails promise active recreation.
Is an active trip the right thing for me?
If you enjoy active walking or cycling in the countryside, then an individual active tour from AugustusTours is just the thing for you! To make your choice easier, we have marked our active tours with a few symbols. Choose, for example, between stage tours (accommodation changed daily/several times), star tours (one accommodation and tours based on it) and round trips (start point = destination).
The degree of difficulty should also make it easier for you to choose the active trip. Experienced cyclists and hikers can certainly enjoy "demanding" tours. For those who prefer a relaxed journey and want to have time for side trips and photo stops, we recommend "easy" tours. For our hiking tours, the walking time indicated should determine your decision - the low number of kilometres is less meaningful due to frequent ascents and descents.
You are unsure? Give us a call (Tel. +49 (0)351 5634820)! We will be happy to advise you and will definitely find the right activity trip for you!
How do I prepare my active holiday? What should I not forget?
To make it easier for you to prepare for your holiday and pack your suitcases, we have put together a packing list.
Where do I stay overnight during the activity trip?
You will stay overnight in cycle and hiking friendly hotels and guesthouses, most of which have been tested by us personally:
- Category: 3- and 4-star standard
- shower/bath/WC in the room, telephone and TV
- safe bicycle storage
- close to the cycle path / hiking trail
We offer our individual active tours exclusively with breakfast. With our restaurant recommendations in the travel documents, we would like to give you the opportunity to choose the location for your dinner and the type of menu yourself on site.
Here you can find out more about our cycle and hiking friendly accommodations, which we book for our active tours.
How does luggage transport work during cycling or walking tours?
So that you can enjoy your active holiday "carefree", we offer you our reliable luggage transport service on all cycling and hiking tours:
- Luggage drop-off until 9 am at the hotel reception
- Provision in the next accommodation by 5 pm at the latest
- Maximum weight: 20 kg per piece of luggage
With the travel documents you will receive luggage tags to mark your suitcase for transport. Click here for more information about our luggage transport service.
Can I book rental bikes for the duration of my cycling trip?
For the duration of your bike tour we are happy to provide you with our high quality touring bikes:
- Low-entry bikes for women and men
- Wheels with hub and derailleur gears
- different frame heights
- bikes and tandems for children on request
Our service for your rental bike:
- Delivery by AugustusTours to the starting hotel and collection at the destination hotel
- Free accessories: one waterproof Ortlieb bag, repair kit & bike lock, map holder
On some of our cycling tours we provide you with bicycles from partner companies, whose equipment, accessories and brands may differ from those mentioned above.
Click here for more information about our rental bike service.
What do my travel documents contain?
The travel document package includes:
- Your personal travel schedule
- Cycling or hiking maps (e.g. Bikeline, green heart, Hikeline)
- Information along the route with carefully researched tips for sightseeing, restaurant recommendations and important contact addresses such as bicycle repair shops
- Voucher for your overnight stays and all other booked services
- Local brochures
- Luggage tags for luggage transport
What additional costs do I have to expect during my active trip?
- Ferries: Particularly on cycle tours along the Elbe Cycle Route or on hiking tours in Saxon Switzerland, it is sometimes necessary to cross rivers by ferry to follow the cycle or hiking trail. Ferry tickets are not included in the tour price.
- Visitor's tax: Some cities impose a visitor's tax or plan to introduce one. If not included in the travel package, we kindly ask you to pay these visitor's taxes on site.
What if my holiday wishes differ from your package deals?
As an organiser of active holidays with more than 20 years of experience, we have detailed knowledge of accommodation, stage locations and routes. We would be happy to design your bike or hiking tour individually according to your needs. Please also use our enquiry form.
How do I register for an activity trip?
You can easily book your active holiday on the Internet. On each of our cycling and walking tours you will find a "Book" tab. After receipt of your registration you will receive the booking confirmation, invoice and insurance certificates for your active holiday.
What happens after my booking?
After your booking, we will put together your activity trip and ask for the appropriate accommodation for you. As soon as we have received all confirmations, we will send you the booking confirmation as well as the invoice for the down payment and balance of payment. Please pay the deposit of 20% of the tour price within 14 days. 4 weeks before the start of the journey the remaining payment is due and you will receive the travel documents from us.
For short-term bookings a total payment is due. As a rule, we then deposit your travel documents in the starting accommodation.
What discounts do you offer for my active holiday?
We can offer the following discounts for our cycling and walking tours:
Group discounts on designated "AugustusTours Original-Reisen" (catalogue and internet packages) including luggage transport (excluding additional services)
- 6 % for 4 fully paying persons
- 10 % for 8 fully paying persons
Three-bedroom reduction: For all "AugustusTours Original tours" you will receive a 10% reduction on the package price in a double room for the third paying person if you stay in a triple room. The prerequisite for this is three full-paying persons.
Reduction for children: Children up to 12 years of age who stay in their parents' room receive a 50% discount on the package price of the booked cycling holiday when booking an activity trip. This does not apply if there is only one adult with one child. Children up to the age of three stay free of charge in their parents' room.
Here you can find more detailed information about our discounts and rebates.
Which cycling and walking tours are suitable for families?
Cycle tours for families
The section of the "Elbe River Cycle Path from Dessau to Bad Schandau" is a particular recommendation for families. Stage lengths are flexible, and child-friendly museums, path-side playgrounds and open-air swimming pools are on hand to ensure a fantastic family holiday. We also offer a family-friendly version of our walking tour of Saxon Switzerland – please do not hesitate to contact us for an individual quote.
Further family-friendly holidays packages
- Families should also consider our laid back cycling tours as the daily legs of these offers are planned short and their level of difficulty ist easy so that families have enough time to take a break on the way.
- Besides our radial tour offers are a good idea as they do not have a fixed travel itinerary and give them the opportunity to choose spontaneously another daily schedule.
We would be happy to make you individual offers for an active holiday with the family.
Can I take my pet on an activity trip?
Very few animal lovers want to leave their faithful companion alone at home during their holidays or put him in a kennel. All the more popular are trips where the dog is welcome. Our portfolio includes numerous walking tours, which can also be booked with a dog on request. Please note, however, that especially in Saxon Switzerland, the "with dog" route may differ from the usual routes in order to avoid obstacles such as stairs, steps and ladders. Furthermore, there is often only a limited number of dog-friendly rooms available. The costs for the dog (approx. 5 - 35 euros per day) must be paid on site.
Can I take out travel cancellation insurance with you for my active holiday?
With your booking confirmation you will receive documents (if sent by post) or a link with information (if sent by e-mail) about our insurance options with Allianz Travel. We will be happy to advise you in order to find the best insurance cover for you. We also have special offers for groups of 10 persons or more.
Arrival and departure
How is the arrival and departure to/from my active holiday?
Arrival and departure for all active tours is at your own risk. We have planned the cycling and walking tours in such a way that the starting and finishing points are easily accessible by train or car.
- Arrival by car:
In most cases it is possible to park your car in the starting or final hotel for the duration of your active trip. Unfortunately it is not possible for AugustusTours to make a binding reservation of a parking lot for your vehicle. Your travel documents, which we will send you in good time prior to your arrival, will contain contact details of your hotels and you are therefore welcome to enquire at the hotel in question about the possibility of reserving a car parking space. Car parking spaces are in most cases subject to a fee. Parking fees must always be paid directly to the hotel on site.
- Arrival by train:
We recommend booking the RIT ticket, which is only available directly from AugustusTours. The tickets are not train-bound and entitle you to travel on all Deutsche Bahn trains (including IC, EC and ICE). Seat reservations and bicycle transport are not included in the ticket but can be requested.
Here you will find more information about travel options to start of your activity holidays.
How do I get back to the starting point after the cycling or walking tours?
Our exclusive transfer service is available on many of our tours. Using comfortable minibuses, we will pick you up from your hotel at the requested time and take you, your luggage and your bicycles to the starting point of your tour. For further information, prices and conditions please refer to the respective detailed tour specifications.
On some of our packages you can also book a collective transfer to get back to your first hotel, where you might have parked your car.
Please read on for more detailed information about our exclusive and collective transfer options.
Am I bound to certain arrival days for my active holiday?
Almost all our cycling and walking tours can be commenced on any day of the week. They are tied to neither a scheduled date nor a tour group.
Even if some offers are restricted to specific arrival dates, we can occasionally offer special arrival dates in case you are travelling in a small group of at least four or six passengers. Please feel free to request your preferred travelling dates!
During the journey
What if questions or problems arise during the activity tour?
In these cases we will always help you quickly and without complications. You can reach us 24 hours a day via our emergency number (only published in the travel documents) during your cycling or hiking trip.
What do I do if my bike breaks down?
In the event of a bicycle breakdown, you have a repair kit with you to repair minor damage yourself. In case of larger damages or in case of questions during the journey, we will always help you quickly and easily on the phone.
Any damage to your rental bike must be reported to us immediately - including damage that you can repair yourself. If it is not possible to continue your journey, please inform us before you visit the nearest garage.
What do I do if it rains all the time?
When rain announces itself, there are several ways to escape the shower: a short break at the nearest restaurant or rest area, wear weatherproof clothing or enjoy the cool down. And after a thick cloud, bright sunshine follows.
What happens if I have to interrupt the trip?
Please call us immediately if you have to cancel your active tour. On weekends you can reach us via the emergency number which you will find in your travel documents. We will immediately take care of everything else.
How to pay for my active holiday?
The total amount of the cycling or walking trip is divided between two invoices. 20% (deposit) is due after booking. The second invoice with 80% of the total cost is payable up to 4 weeks before arrival. If there are less than 8 weeks between booking and departure, the total amount of the invoice is due immediately.
- You can pay for your active holiday conveniently by bank transfer, credit card (Visa/Mastercard) or pay direct. Here you will find detailed information about the payment options.
What are the bank details?
Please choose one of the two bank accounts:
Volksbank Dresden-Bautzen eG
IBAN: DE50 8509 0000 2650 6710 00
Ostsächsische Sparkasse Dresden
IBAN: DE12 8505 0300 3120 1983 06
What does the note on reduced mobility mean for our active tours?
The implementation of the EU Package Travel Directive in July 2018 changed the German travel law. The new EU Package Travel Directive is designed to protect and inform you as a consumer at the time of booking your travel. Since then, we as tour operators are obliged to clearly label trips which are not suitable for people with reduced mobility. This includes our cycling and walking tours.
What does mobility restriction mean? Most often it refers to physical limitations in terms of muscle strength, motor skills or mobility, which may require walking aids or wheelchairs. With regard to cycling holidays, it may involve the use of hand bikes or other specialised bicycles.
In the past years we have welcomed many guests on our cycling and hiking tours, who have completed our active tours without any problems despite a mobility restriction. In some cases, precise arrangements were necessary in advance of the trip to select suitable accommodation or to take other special features into account when planning the trip.
You are not sure whether you are up to the requirements of our active tours? Please contact us - we will be happy to give you comprehensive advice and take your needs into account!
Why do I receive a security note?
In accordance with EU regulations for package tours, your payments are covered by R+V insurance in the event of the organiser AugustusTours e.K. becoming insolvent.
What happens if I cancel my active holiday?
Should you have to cancel your active trip, please inform us in writing. In case of cancellation of your trip our general terms and conditions apply.
Please note that cancellation fees also apply to additional services.
If not all your questions have been answered here, please contact us. We will be happy to answer your questions about the organisation of our active tours immediately!