Cycle tour from Dresden to Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Curvy rides to the scene of Martin Luther's work
The Elbe, Germany's second largest river, flows through beautiful countryside. Its characteristic features include impressive terrace vineyards in the region around Meissen and tranquil riverbank meadows further north. There are plenty of charming historical monuments to discover along this part of the Elbe River Cycle Path.
Day 1: Individual arrival in Dresden
You arrive in the ‘Florence of the Elbe’ which is beautifully situated along the Elbe valley. Use the rest of the day for a walk along the river or through the Baroque town centre to be enchanted by the city’s historical flair.
Overnight stay in Dresden
Day 2: Stay in Dresden or day trip to Bad Schandau (approx. 45 km)
Today you have time to explore Dresden’s many sights and attractions such as the famous Frauenkirche, the Zwinger Palace or the Semper Opera House. Our tip:
Or you make a trip to the Saxon Switzerland Region with its bizarre rock formations. Take the local train to Bad Schandau (ticket not included) and then cycle back to Dresden along the Elbe River passing sights such as the Fortress Königstein, the Bastei Bridge and the Pillnitz Palace & Park.
Overnight stay in Dresden
Day 3: Dresden – Meissen (approx. 30 km)
On the first stage of the tour along the Elbe River Cycle Path you will pass the town Radebeul which is famous for its vineyards. Continuing your journey you will soon see the landmark of the city of Meissen: the impressive castle hill with the cathedral and the Albrechtsburg castle. A visit to the world-famous Meissen porcelain factory is a must. In the evening enjoy a glass of local wine because you are in the heart of one of the smallest yet most distinguished wine growing regions of Germany.
Overnight stay in Meissen
Day 4: Meissen – Riesa (cat. A)/ Strehla (cat. B) (approx. 28 km/36 km)
Today’s cycle tour will take you along picturesque wine villages to Riesa, the city of sports. The town is also famous for its pasta production. In the transparent noodle centre you can gain insight into the modern food production of the second largest pasta manufacturer in Germany.
Overnight stay in Riesa (category A) or Strehla (category B)
Day 5: Riesa (cat. A)/ Strehla (cat. B) – Torgau (approx. 48 km/40 km)
Continuing the tour along the Elbe River Cycle Path you will soon reach Strehla where you will be enjoying the enchanting rural atmosphere of the Elbe town. Today’s destination is Torgau, a Renaissance town featuring Schloss Hartenfels and the Palace Church known as the first German Protestant church.
Overnight stay in Torgau
Day 6: Torgau – Lutherstadt Wittenberg (approx. 68 km)
After leaving Torgau you will cycle through the Elbe’s floodplains and reach Wittenberg, the starting point of Martin Luther’s Reformation process 500 years ago. Take a walk through the historic centre and visit the various memorial sights dedicated to Martin Luther and Philip Melanchthon, which were added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1996.
Overnight stay in Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Make it cosier!
Split the tour with an overnight stay in Pretzsch
Day 7: Individual departure from Lutherstadt Wittenberg or transfer service to Dresden
After a memorable cycle tour from Dresden to Wittenberg, you will start your journey back home. You are welcome to prolong your journey with some additional nights, e.g. in Dresden or other towns along the route. We will gladly arrange the accommodations for you. In case you have to get back to Dresden, we can offer you our convenient transfer service.
- 6 x overnight stay in the booked category with private facilities
- 6 x continental breakfast
- Luggage transfer from accommodation to accommodation (up to 2 pieces of luggage per person, maximum 20 kg each)
- GPS data on request
- 1 package with maps and information material per room (in English language)
- Telephone-service-hotline during your cycling holidays
Please feel free to add the following value-added services to the basic travel package of the tour from Dresden to Lutherstadt Wittenberg:
- Additional nights at every overnight location according to the tour description
- Rental bikes or electric bicycles for the duration of the tour (more about our rental bike service)
- Transfer services from Wittenberg to Dresden (more about our transfer services)
- FlexPLUS: rebook or cancel up to 28 days before arrival without giving reasons (more about our FlexPLUS)
Category B: 3-star hotels and guesthouses/pensions, usually close to the cycle path
Please note that in some cities accommodation taxes, visitor's taxes, etc. apply. Unless otherwise stated, these are not included in the tour price and must be paid locally.
This cycle trip is not recommendable for travellers with mobility impairments.
How to get to the tour
Arrival by train:
Dresden is easily accessible by train from all major cities in Germany.
From Dresden's main train station or Neustadt train station, you then have the option of using public transportation to get to your hotel.
Current timetable information and price information can be found at www.bahn.de or at www.dvb.de.
Arrival by car and parking facilities:
Dresden is connected to the main supra-regional traffic network via three freeways. Depending on the hotel, there are direct parking facilities or often nearby. Please understand that there are limited parking facilities at the hotel, especially in the city centers.
Check directly with your starting hotel to see if they offer parking. At www.parkopedia.de you will find a good overview of other parking options and we will be happy to inform you individually.
- Prices for services includedPrice validity: 01.04.2024 to 05.05.2024incl. luggage transferDblSglCategory A619.00 € per person839.00 € per personPrice validity: 06.05.2024 to 07.09.2024Category B549.00 € per person689.00 € per personCategory A649.00 € per person869.00 € per personPrice validity: 08.09.2024 to 31.10.2024Category B579.00 € per person719.00 € per personCategory A619.00 € per person839.00 € per personCategory B549.00 € per person689.00 € per person
- Prices for additional nightsCategory ADblSglDresden75.00 €110.00 €Meißen68.00 €95.00 €Riesa68.00 €95.00 €Torgau68.00 €95.00 €Category BLutherstadt Wittenberg68.00 €95.00 €Dresden63.00 €85.00 €Meißen59.00 €78.00 €Strehla59.00 €78.00 €Torgau59.00 €78.00 €Lutherstadt Wittenberg59.00 €78.00 €
- Prices for rental bikesPriceUnisex-Tourenrad mit 21-Gang-Freilauf15.00 €
per person and dayUnisex-Tourenrad mit 7-Gang-Rücktritt15.00 €
per person and dayHerren-Tourenrad mit 21-Gang-Freilauf15.00 €
per person and dayHerren-Tourenrad mit 7-Gang-Rücktritt15.00 €
per person and dayUnisex-Elektrorad mit 7-Gang-Rücktritt30.00 €
per person and dayTachometer (nach freier Verfügbarkeit)0.00 €
- Prices for transfer servicesPriceLutherstadt Wittenberg - Dresden
Sammeltransfer, jeden Mittwoch 10.00 Uhr, pro eigenes Rad + 25 €, Preis pro Person90.00 €Lutherstadt Wittenberg - Dresden
Buspreis, bis 3 Personen (pauschal), pro eigenes Rad + 25 €230.00 €
- Experience packagesPriceFlexPLUS39.00 € (DZ), 39.00 € (EZ)
per personZwischenübernachtung Pretzsch (inkl. Gepäcktransport)90.00 € (DZ), 120.00 € (EZ)
5% Early Bird Discount
on all active holidays